Tuesday, November 8, 2011

End of Term 1 Events

The end is near, and the usual term-end events are underway on campus. Friday I met with a Counseling and Career Service Representative to review my resume and discuss my options after I graduate in June. I have made a definite decision whether or not to continue my education and go to graduate school or to begin searching for jobs and join the workforce. The advice I was given was to take the GMAT test (a common grad school test requirement for business majors) and apply to some graduate schools and also submit applications and resumes for careers of interest and see what options come my way. At first, I thought I was finally done with school and wanted to jump right into a career to start paying off some debt, but Elmira College has a special 4+1 program agreement with several graduate schools in which students can earn a bachelor degree at Elmira College and attend one of the dozens of partner schools for one year to achieve a master's degree. The Counseling and Career Service office is always very helpful with guiding me in the right direction and assisting me in making these important, life changing decisions. Yesterday I registered for classes for the last time, and was able to get into all six of my term 2 classes without a problem. Also, yesterday afternoon, my class ring (that my wonderful, awesome parents bought for me while they were here for Parent's Weekend) came in the mail! I am usually not the kind of person that buys things like that, I never bought a high school class ring, but Elmira College has become my second home and I wanted something to have all my life that would remind me of the wonderful opportunities I was offered, the knowledge I learned, and the life-long friends I have made here. This afternoon was the Elmira College Career Fair on the second level of the campus center which has dozens of representatives from local businesses that are looking to interview, hire, and acquire student interns from Elmira College. I actually worked at one of the booths with my store manager and district manager of my current part-time job and internship at Family Video. We interviewed some of my fellow students and I explained my experiences as a full-time student with a part-time job and internship at the store. The fair was an overall success and a great time to meet new people and think about possible career opportunities. Next to come is my Thursday meeting with a representative from the Simon Graduate School of Business at the University of Rochester and Hoops Hysteria Thursday night!

No comments:

Post a Comment