Monday, April 30, 2012

Term 3

This is my final term 3 at Elmira College, and so far, it has been a blast.  Term 3 is a lot of fun because students have time to do things with friends in the area that they do not have time for during terms one and two.  Since students are taking only 6 credits for term 3, we have time to relax, travel, and in my case, work more.  I work half a mile from campus at Family Video, where I have worked all three years of college part-time.  In term one this year, I even completed my required internship at Family Video where I was taught all aspects of management and operations of the store and the company for 260 paid hours.  Now that I am taking only one class, I am working more hours to save up money for after-school expenses.  I also plan to work for Family Video as a manager in training (MIT) in the Buffalo area after graduation, and then manage a store in the area.  I am starting to get sad about leaving Elmira and the comfort of the "Purple Bubble" in just a few short weeks.  It seems like just as soon as life settles down and becomes manageable, it takes another turn and becomes scrambled and hectic again.  Hopefully the transition from full-time college student to full-time employee is not too much of a shock.  I plan on spending my last few weeks at Elmira College with my friends, and co-workers enjoying their company both on and off campus and on and off the clock.  Thinking about how much I have accomplished in the last 3 years seems unreal, and if I had the stack of papers and assignments I have completed  placed in front of me at high school graduation, I would have never thought it was possible.  The biggest lesson I have learned at Elmira College is that there really is no limit to how much one can do.  I won't lie, there were times when my heart was racing as the midnight deadlines approached for freshman writing papers, and tears flowed from my eyes when I saw the clock at night and the list of things I had to complete before going to bed, and I was frantically chipping away at assignments during my short breaks between all 6 classes and part-time shifts.  But somehow, everything was completed, and there was even time for some TV, naps, meals, outings, and hobbies in between.  People are capable of how much they are willing to push for.  It is OK to break down and freak out momentarily, and it will inevitably happen, probably more than once; but as long as you don't lose sight of the end reward, and just put your head down and get it done, you can do anything; absolutely anything. 

No comments:

Post a Comment