Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Changes on Campus

Over the last three years that I have lived at Elmira College, there have been several significant changes to the appearances of the buildings and the campus grounds. When I first arrived in the fall of 2009, the multi-million dollar Meier Hall was not yet erected. In fact, as I walked around Elmira College for the first time following around a Gold Key tour guide, I remember him pointing to the dirt foundation that would become the great Meier Hall and listened intently as the guide described the school's vision for the building. I watched during my freshman and sophomore years as the dirt foundation turned into wooden framework and then gradually evolved into a Gothic-style, brick exterior, intricately carved castle of a building.

One of the reasons why I chose Elmira College was because freshmen are allowed to have cars on campus. However, when I was assigned a dorm room in Alumni Hall my freshman year, I was frustrated by the lack of parking lots on that side of campus. So when the school purchased the land behind Alumni Hall last year to build more sufficient parking lots over the summer, I was very pleased. Also, this year, the school is having the roof of the campus center redone. Cowles Hall, one of the original Elmira College buildings, is also being gutted and revamped to become a usable, academic building once again. Just this week, workers completed re-laying the octagon-shaped stone crosswalk over College Avenue that connects one side of the campus to the other. However, the largest change to Elmira College in all of my years here, was just recently announced this week. After over two decades of living on the Elmira College campus and interacting with students on a daily basis, Dr. Thomas Meier is retiring as the college President. For this reason, I am even more proud to be a member of the graduating class of 2012, the last graduating class under the reign of President Dr. Meier. This June will be even more special since Dr. Meier, along with myself and the rest of the graduating class of 2012 will be remembering our experiences and memories at Elmira College and leaving to start new chapters of our lives. The Astonishing members of the class of 2012 are honored to be the final class to have President Dr. Meier as the college president during our graduation. He has left a legacy and I am proud to be one of the first residents of the Meier Hall building during his final year as president.

No comments:

Post a Comment